This blog is to keep in touch with those I love during my twenty-seven month adventure in Paraguay. Welcome to the chronicles of my life as a gringa americana doing urban youth development in Sudamėrica.

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

I don´t know where I´m going, but I´ll get there.

It´s getting dark here, so I don´t have much time to spend in the cyber, but the weather has drastically dropped this week! I´ve had to use not only one blanket, but two, and I actually use my fleece in the morning! I never thought the day would come.

I just wanted to announce my future site placement...Caaguazú! I don´t know much, but supposedly the weather is mild there, and there is a market that sells whole wheat flour and garbanzo beans. Really, what else do you need? I also just now read that the soil is great for vegetation, or at least I think I read that. I can´t find that article anymore and I´m low on sleep. I leave tomorrow to meet my community contact for a day retreat and then we take off Friday for my site. I am a follow up volunteer which means I´m taking over where someone left off...sort of. The idea of being a follow up really makes me nervous, but hopefully the people won´t expect me to do all the same things the previous volunteer did. There is a brand new space that opened up for youth where I can have art and dance classes with the kids, too!
And on top of all that, I somehow magically got placed close to my best friend here. We are only an hour away from each other, I still can´t believe that.

When I asked if it was a good town to have a horse, the boss lady laughed at me. Vamos a ver.

I have so much to say, but I´ll have to wait write a better update. My partner and I did our last charla with 15 year old kids and had an American/Paraguayan dance exchange. That was seriously one of my highlights of being here, I couldn´t believe how well it went. It was one of those film moments, it didn´t feel real. One thing I forgot...I didn´t even talk about the Peace Corps. I just introduced myself and said, ¨Let´s go outside for the icebreaker.¨ Oops.

Lovelove!

2 comments:

  1. You are so amazing. I'm excited about your placement and your horse and your being close to your best friend and everything... ahhh!!

    Love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! I just updated myself on all your adventures since you've been there! It's great to be able to read about what you're doing and learning. By now, you must be at your placement site. I know you'll have an amazing experience to add on to what you've already had! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete